Swell School is federated with Longborough School.Both schools remain as two separate schools but share the same head teacher and governing body.The head teacher is able to concentrate on leading both schools, gaining maximum benefit from the unity of federation by sharing resources, expertise and certain staff, but also celebrating the individual uniqueness of the small village school.
Swell School is a small primary school situated in Lower Swell, surrounded by the beautiful Cotswold countryside.Our children are admitted from the village and surrounding area, together with others who have exercised parental choice, preferring our small school environment.The towns of Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Moreton in Marsh and Cheltenham are within easy access.
In February 1851, when over 400 people lived in Nether Swell Parish, the then vicar, Reverend David Royce, expressed a wish to establish a school in the village, offering to pay for the building himself. The present site, formerly that of the old parsonage, was chosen, and Nether Swell (Church of England) Mixed School began life.
Although outwardly the school has retained the same appearance, many changes have taken place internally. In 1998 a second floor was added to the school.This work provided two modern classrooms, a staffroom, office and internal toilets.In 2006 the Infant classroom was completely refurbished and in 2008 a quiet area was added to the playground.
The school is fundamentally a Christian foundation and although now ‘controlled' by Gloucestershire Local Authority and fully funded by them, the Diocese of Gloucester still owns the building and surrounding land.